Fulford Manufacturing has two major business sectors. One sector provides precision stamped and formed parts to the automotive and other OEM industries.
The business was founded in the 1880's by Harry Fulford, an English toolmaker who crossed the Atlantic looking for a better life. It was incorporated in 1890 and grew to employ 24 toolmakers and over 400 employees. When Mr. Fulford died at the age of 92, the helm was taken by his son-in-law, Lewis Woodward. The 1970's slow-down in the automotive, jewelry & Fashion industry coupled with intense foreign competition caused a major reduction in both sales volume and profitability.
Another Englishman, Metallurgical Engineer Anthony Hart, purchased the company from the Woodward family in 1985. The company suffered a major setback a year later when the 85,000 square foot facility was hit and totally destroyed by a tornado (see image right). Mr. Hart's distinguished leadership skills were evident when he moved the company to temporary facilities and managed to meet all delivery commitments within one week.
Today, Fulford Manufacturing is again a major force in the metal forming business servicing the automotive, electronic, medical device and emblematic industries. The company continues to thrive and grow at its East Providence location under Mr. Hart's direction.
In February of 2006 we were one of only 8 companies awarded the Boy Scouts annual Award of Excellence. This was the 15th consecutive year we received this honor.
Fulford was certified to ISO 9000 and QS-9000 in 1998. We attained Ford Q1 status in 1999 and ISO14001 Registration in 2001. In March of 2006 we successfully transitioned to ISO/TS16949.